Sustainable Manufacturing Project Summaries
Samples of what you can expect by working with us.
Our average Return on Investment is 300%, meaning, on average, we save our clients three times as much as our services cost.
We increase your competitive advantage. Period.
Beverage Manufacturer (800,000 sq.ft.) Middleboro, MA
- Designed process modifications for 20% reduction in sodium hypochlorite in vessel cleaning operations and reduce wash-water volume.
- Follow-on downstream reductions in wastewater treatment chemicals for 2.1million gallons-per-day flow.
Photographic Film Coating Plant (150,000 sq.ft.) Waltham, MA
- Process optimization for film coating and drying production lines.
- 25% reduction in coating waste, and energy input & a case study for State and corporate officials.
Leather Tannery (180,000 sq.ft.) Lynn, MA
- Process modification for tanning, curing and shaping of cow hides for leather coats.
- 40% reduction in wastewater, 25% reduction in hazardous waste and 10% energy use savings.
Injection molder, (110,000 sq.ft.) Stratford, CT
- REACH and RoHs impact analysis for their European Union product lines.
- Implemented data collection and metric system for materials through-put and waste flows.
Global Manufacturer of Pharmaceutical Delivery Systems, Crystal Lake, IL
- Developed framework and program base for sustainability efforts of this $2 billion company to meet green demands of manufacturing customers.
- Advised and formed cGMP procedures for compressed air, ventilation and other energy consuming devices that pose contamination threat to product.
- Selection of green cleaning products and lubricants, and verification of product claims prior to use.
EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT / GREEN TEAMS
State University Hospital, Farmington, CT
- Conducted trainings and awareness building programs for staff, administrators and medical students on benefits of being “green.”
- Led team in forming plan for reviewing purchasing and cleaning policies. Trained facilities staff and managers on plant energy savings and auditing for energy savings.
LEAN & GREEN
13 companies, various locations in CT
- Delivery of trainings to aerospace, medical equipment and electronics manufacturers focused upon integration of Lean and green principles.
- All facilities found process and flow optimization projects which yielded significant energy and/or environmental benefits.
WATER USE / WATER FOOTPRINTS
14 Electroplating Companies (Massachusetts, Connecticut & Rhode Island)
- Audits for 14 separate electroplating companies (6,000 sq.ft. – 80,000 sq.ft.)
- 10 – 80% reduction in rinsewaters / wastewater generation.
- Designed closed-loop processes for recycling plating, acid etch and other chemical baths.
- Process lines included: Hexavalent Chromium, Zinc, Yellow, Blue and Clear Chromate, Zinc
- Phosphatizing, Electroless Nickel, Nickel, Cadmium, Silver, Rhodium, Gold and Platinum.
Dollar Bill Paper Manufacturing (300,000 sq.ft.) Dalton, MA
- Identified 5% reduction potential in process water use on 135 million gallon-per-day process flow.
- Screen cleaning process modifications resulted in $40,000/year labor savings.
ZERO WASTE / RECYCLING
Periodical and Newspaper Printer (120,000 sq.ft.) Worcester, MA
- Developed Zero Discharge System, with financial analysis.
- Reduced hazardous waste costs by 66%
- Implemented water-based and soy-based inks for conversion of current solvent system.
End Destination Resort (350,000 sq.ft.) private, CT
- Reduced solid waste stream by 60% through “dumpster dive.”
- $50,000 /year saved through composting at cafeteria.
Health & Beauty Packaging (150,000 sq.ft.) Lincolnton, NC
- New facility designed for zero waste to landfill.
- Sourcing recycling markets for 9 “waste” streams
- Water, electricity and fuel oil conserving technologies beyond building code.
17 Chamber of Commerce Members, Bristol, CT
- 17 waste audits & “dumpster dives” for local businesses.
- 10 – 35% reduction in waste & increase in green purchasing.
Consumer Goods Containers (9 sites) Mukwonago, IL
- WBCSD protocols used for enterprise-wide baseline emissions.
- Eliminated need for new 200 hp air compressor.
- De-lamping analysis to reduce glare and increase productivity.
- Energy savings identified in changing injection mold heaters to induction heaters.
Casino, Uncasville, CT
- Created policies, goals and methods for all environmental risks on sovereign lands.
- Tracking program for data on waste generation, employee training and other markers developed.
- 3,000,000 pounds of food wastes diverted the local landfill.
National Pollution Prevention Initiative, Jakarta, Indonesia
- U.S. Agency for International Development industry-led pollution prevention programs.
- Conducted training and site assessments, created Best Management Practices for pollution prevention.
Electric Utility (750,000 sq.ft.) Milan, Italy
- Reviewed Italy’s largest electric utility for accounting of environmental costs.
- Trained consultants, utility engineers and management on Total Cost Assessment.
- Identified pilot projects to for program roll-out.
Beverage Company (800,000 sq.ft.) Lakeville, MA
- Adoption of Sustainable Manufacturing practices with corporate officers.
- Life cycle analysis of chemical versus electrical biocide.
- Pilot study & testing confirmed financial and aquatic benefits for process cooling waters.
PURCHASING / MAINTENANCE PROGRAM
Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, (12,000 sq.ft.) Tempe, AZ
- Designed program for all operations pertaining to purchasing of all supplies and materials for out-patient clinic.
- Developed cleaning and maintenance procedures for use with “green” cleaning supplies.
- Educated staff, administrators, and maintenance contractors on importance, implementation and review of cleaning process.