Energy Project Summaries
MANUFACTURING ENERGY EFFICIENCY
Injection Molding Facility (43,000 sq.ft.) Torrington, CT
- Demand management opportunities reduced peak demand charges, saving $25,000 per year
- 130,000 kWh saved per year for each new IMM press purchased as all-electric.
- Decreased production cycle time by 5%, yielding additional 500,000 parts per month production.
Assembly Facility (110,000 sq.ft.) Stratford, CT
- Saved $28,000 per year in compressed air costs.
- 60,000 kWh electricity savings from load shifting to new trim compressor.
Custom Anodizing Facility, Watertown, CT
- $30,000 per month saved through fuel switching analysis.
- Improved part quality checks through lighting retrofits.
- Saved $70,000 in fuel oil costs and averted price hikes from petroleum market instability.
Plastic Injection Molder (600,000 sq.ft.) Mukwonago, WI
- Conducted energy efficiency audits for industrial and building envelope energy use.
- Assessed impacts of chilled-water versus air-cooled chillers on energy use.
- AOptimized compressed air systems to increase available capacity and demand management.
- AEliminated leaks and extraneous use of air to eliminate the need for additional 200 Hp compressor.
- AIdentified substantial energy savings in retrofit of injection molding blanket heaters to electric induction heaters.
- AConducted lighting level calculations and illumination measurements for entire facility (shop floor, offices, and other spaces) to determine safe lighting levels and areas for de-lamping.
National Electricity Utility (750,000 sq.ft.) Milan, Italy
- Conducted review of Italy’s largest electric utility’s long-range goals for incorporating all environmental costs into current accounting practices.
- Lead team of consultants, engineers and management in educational training on specifics of Total Cost Assessment for their power generating processes, and maintenance programs.
- Identified pilot projects to gain full management support and build on success for utility wide implementation.
Assembly Operations (80,000 sq.ft.) Stratford, CT
- Hired as corporate energy manager to implement energy conservation measures across three facilities in CT over two-year period.
- Conservation measures included: air compressor leak analyses, air use reduction, pressure regulation, electricity demand reduction, power factor correction, motor, lighting and heating upgrades, air-side economizer installations, energy management software and metering installations, production machinery retro-fits and replacements and trained floor workers.
- Acquired state and utility-based incentives and grants.
Food Manufacturing (800,000 sq.ft.) Middleboro, MA
- Developed energy audit for conveyor motors, lighting, and cooling system.
- Developed process changes to reduce use of sodium hypochlorite in vessel cleaning operations and reduce washwater volume.
- Analyzed impacts of changes on current wastewater treatment and settling system for 2.1 million gpd flow rates.
- Conducted feasibility and pilot studies of electronic bio-cide replacement for chemical bio-cide use in process cooling waters.
- Proposed adoption of Sustainable Manufacturing practices to corporate officers.
International Nutritional Supplement Company (40,000 sq. ft.) Middletown, CT
- Improved energy efficiency of building envelope to decrease HVAC need.
- Performed cost/benefit analysis of fuel cells, photovoltaic panels, and ground source heat pumps over conventional HVAC packages.
- Incorporated passive solar architectural elements and day lighting to reduce artificial lighting need.
- Designed and specified all “green” materials including building envelope materials, flooring, paints, finishes, lighting and furniture for structure.
Large Office Complex (400,000 sq. ft.) Purchase, NY
- Energy and Operational maintenance practices audit for commercial office building complex.
- Owners desired to pursue LEED Operations & Maintenance certification, requiring the development of Best Practices manuals and policies for all aspects of landscaping, grounds-keeping, tenant fit outs, lighting, HVAC performance, and cleaning of the building interior.
- Client was inspired to continue monitoring and tracking building energy performance through EPA Energy Star program due to observed benefits and cost savings.
Film Coating Plant (150,000 sq.ft.) Waltham, MA
- Resulted in 25% in coating waste, and energy input following process optimization review on film coating and drying production lines.
- Data collection, analysis and report generation for presentation to state, local and corporate officials.
Leather Processing (180,000 sq.ft.) Lynn, MA
- 10% reduction in heat and energy use achieved following process review of tanning, curing and shaping of cowhides for use in garment manufacturing.
- Process evaluation of chromium use, wastewater segregation, conservation and recycling potential.
- Developed process modifications to reduce wastewater by 40% and hazardous waste by 25%.
14 Electroplating Companies (Massachusetts, Connecticut & Rhode Island)
- Conducted facility audits for 14 separate electroplating companies ranging in size from 3 to 75 employees (6,000 – 80,000 sq.ft.)
- All site assessments featured a detailed list of opportunities and cost analysis for suggested alternatives.
- Reductions in wastewater ranged from 10 – 80%, and included several closed-loop designs for recycling plating, acid etch and other chemical baths.
- Techniques considered include; counter current rinsing, reactive rinsing, spray or fog rinsing, air agitation and drag out tanks.
- Specific plating line experience includes; Hexavalent Chromium, Zinc, Yellow, Blue and Clear Chromate, Zinc Phosphatizing, Electroless Nickel, Nickel, Cadmium, Silver, Rhodium, Gold and Platinum.
RENEWABLE & COGEN ENERGY
- Town & City Municipal Buildings (various locations, CT)
- Feasibility calculations for wind, solar photovoltaic and solar hot water roof & ground systems.
- Analyzed solar incidence, rent-verses-own, power output, sREC revenue stream, and access issues.
- Reports for Boards of Education, Design Review committees, Town Councils, and Building Managers.
Plastic Injection Molder (43,000 sq.ft.) Torrington, CT
- Identified electrical demand management opportunities to reduce peak demand charges through use of capacitor bank, thus reducing power factor.
- Saved 25% in monetary costs of electricity.
- Designed Combined Heat & Power system for site using 6,500,000 kWh per year, coupled to absorptive chiller to cool injection molding machines.
- Identified potential to switch to all electric molding machines and eliminate oily waste.
- Analyzed facility’s location potential for a 1.2 MW wind turbine.
Multi-Location Regional Bank, Northampton, MA
- Independent review of 284kW solar photovoltaic panel project.
- Loan department concerned over future prices of solar Renewable Energy Certificates (sRECs).
- Provided guidance on market conditions for sRECs, and verification of power and factors that decrease power production.